This website explores three related ideas:
- Most of the disorders we attribute to old age are caused by infections.
- Many hard-to-treat disorders are caused by multiple, i.e., polymicrobial, infections.
- Every chronic infection makes us more susceptible to the next one. The result is called immunosenescence.
If the three ideas listed above are right, then we would expect:
- Many disorders would be associated with more than one microbe. They are; obesity and rheumatoid arthritis are both linked to at least 20 microbes, and in some cases the same microbes. Appendix I lists 2,000+ disorder-microbe pairs (click on Appendices at left).
- Many microbes would be associated with more than one disorder. This is also true; a virus called cytomegalovirus has been linked to arthritis, obesity, and more than 100 other disorders. Appendix II lists 2,000+ microbe-disorder pairs.
- Many disorders would be associated with other disorders. For example, Depression, hypertension, and migraines are all linked to each other and each has been linked to more than 20 other disorders. Appendix III lists 700+ disorder-disorder pairs.
My name is Russ Farris, and these three ideas are at the heart of a book I'm writing. The book is called The Falling Apart Syndrome, and I'm putting the rough draft on this website to solicit comments, questions, and criticism (Click on Falling Apart Syndrome at left).
Navigating this website. This website was prepared using an hierarchical organizer called TreePad. The "tree" at the left leads to the named topics. To print a page (frame) without printing the tree, click on the page before printing.
I look forward to hearing from you; I can be reached through any of the following routes:
Polymicrobial.com is owned and maintained by Russell Farris, and the information contained here is based upon the research and personal and professional experiences of Russell Farris. It is not intended as a substitute for consulting with your physician or other health care provider. Any attempt to diagnose and treat an illness should be done under the direction of a health care professional.
Russell Farris does not advocate the use of any particular health care protocol but believes the information in this website should be available to the public. Russell Farris is not responsible for any adverse effects or consequences resulting from the use of the suggestions, preparations, or procedures discussed in this website. Should the reader have any questions concerning the appropriateness of any procedures or preparation mentioned, the website owner strongly suggests consulting a professional health care advisor.
Since I hope to put most of this in a book, please consider everything on the site to be copyrighted by Russell Farris. On the other hand, ideas can't be copyrighted, so use whatever strikes you as true.